-
October 15th, 2006, 09:43 PM
#1
Inactive Member
-
October 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
I haven't found much difference in the early 288's, other than the "B" model has to be modified to accept replacement diaphragms.
The 288G is the best IMHO of all the 288's.The magnet weight was doubled for this model.
Any should do what you need. If they are older,consider having the magnets recharged.
-
October 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Does this mean that the series after 'G' are also doubled?
-
October 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
I've never actually opened up an "H" model but I understand it also has the larger Alnico magnet but the phase plug is changed.
The "K" and later models have Ferrite instead of Alnico magnets. They do have a much larger field strength than the earlier 288's.
Collectors go for the "G" model. They bring up to triple what the "C" models go for. The later Ferrites go cheaper, if you are looking for a bargain they are still great drivers.
All of them sound good. The newer ones are a bit more efficient because of the stronger magnets.
The 291-16B is identical to the 288G if you replace the 291's diaphragm with Aluminum instead of Symbiotik. Sometimes you can find the 291's cheaper since demand is not so high.
-
October 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
#5
HB Forum Owner
Soon, BRAND NEW 288-8H's will be availabe from GREAT PLAINS AUDIO!
Bill is already making 515C's (that's a 515B with the larger, 16" mounting frame). And YES - IT'S ALNICO!
He's also building 414-8B's (alnico) and 414-8C's (ceramic), as well as 416-8B's (alnico) and 416-8C's (ceramic), plus 3127's, 3156's, and 3184's.
That's BRAND NEW - AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW!
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ October 16, 2006 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
-
October 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
#6
Inactive Member
-
October 17th, 2006, 12:39 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Todd, are the 515C,s available in 8ohms as well as 16ohms?
THAT woofer is INCREDIBLE!
-
October 17th, 2006, 02:59 AM
#8
Hostboard Member
Tod,
It's a good news for the Altec fans that the Alnico verson to be continuous! I will tell all my friends and announce the news in the hi-fi forum of my country! Thank you for your great efforts to resurrect the legend!
Regards
Jimmy
-
October 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
#9
HB Forum Owner
Yes, Scott, they can be ordered in 8 or 16 ohms.
-
October 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Wonderful! I will call him and order a couple to try out. I always thought to myself that some of the older alnico Altec woofers sounded so sweet.
I am seriously reconsidering purchasing new B & W 802,s, and I havent as of yet.
That serious high fidelity, high efficiency products are once again available makes me want to build speakers for my home that I absolutely know will sound better to me than what they push now.
Way to go, Bill.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks